Tuesday 12 July 2016

Author Interview: London Setterby author of SET ME FREE


Set Me Free
London Setterby
Publication date: July 8th 2016
Genres: Gothic, New Adult, Romance
Miranda Lewis is desperate to get away from her controlling ex–so desperate she leaves him in the middle of the night. She ends up on a remote island off the Maine coast, where she befriends a bubbly shopkeeper, Claire, and becomes fascinated with Claire’s son, big, brooding Owen Larsen, a woodworker who keeps to himself. Even the friendliest locals here are secretive–and Owen is at the center of their secrets.
Still, Miranda loves the salt air, the craggy coastline, and, most of all, the work of the island’s beloved local painter, Suzanna White. Miranda wants to stay–to claim a life of her own, to paint again. But the longer she stays, the more her fascination with Owen increases. Why is there a painting of his stern, handsome face in the art gallery by the beach? And why is everyone so afraid of him?

AUTHOR INTERVIEW

Hi, London! Welcome to We Do Write. Tell us a bit about yourself.  
Hi, all! Thanks so much for having me. I’m a lawyer and art nerd from New England. Set Me Free is my first novel.

Tell our readers a bit about SET ME FREE. What’s the story about?
Set Me Free is about twenty-four year old painter Miranda Lewis finally leaving her controlling ex; the mysterious Maine island she ends up on; and the man everyone on the island is afraid of. It’s a contemporary reimagining of classic Gothics, with the brooding hero, the innocent heroine, and the dark and mysterious setting.

How did the idea of the story come to you?
It actually came in part from a dream I had about a young woman driving to Maine in the middle of the night and meeting a woman (with a ton of dogs) and her son in a small country store. I have done a fair amount of criminal law over the years, and a case I was familiar with ended up working its way into the novel, too.

Are you a plotter or a pantser?
I am basically a plotter. I use Mary Carroll Moore’s W-Method, which is big-picture storyboarding. I like to get the big stuff down, and then I sometimes bullet point upcoming scenes as I write, too. I try not to fence myself in, just give myself a roadmap.

What’s the hardest part of writing for you?
Hmm, this is a great question, actually. I think basically everything about writing is hard. I’ve focused on leveling up in different ways at different times--going through phases where I worked hard on writing better characters, for example, or where I was really tuned in to writing better on a sentence by sentence level.

What do you absolutely have to have nearby when writing?
I absolutely have to have music. Coffee and half a bag of chocolate chips doesn’t hurt, either.

If you could have any super power, what would it be?
All I really want in life is a TARDIS. :-)

What's the weirdest thing you've googled?
Well, I have googled some pretty weird things for work, but for Set Me Free, one of my quirkier google adventures was when I was trying to figure out what my heroine’s dog, Ferdy, would look like, and how big he would be. Ferdy, a rescue dog, is part Great Dane, part Newfoundland. I actually made a little chart for both breeds’ growth rates and weights and such, based on my research. I also looked at a lot of pictures of Newfie and Great Dane puppies--a real hardship, I know. ;-)

Finish this sentence: If I'm not writing, I'm probably...
Working, or hiking with the hubby, or occasionally drawing.

Here’s the part where you thank the people who are supporting you. Let's hear your shout outs.
Big thank yous to my crit partners, Alexa, Isley, and Becky, thank you to my Wattpad peeps, and thank you so much to We Do Write and Giselle, too!


Thanks so much for stopping by the blog!


Author Bio:
Hello! I’m London, a writer, lawyer, and life-long New Englander. I write all flavors of romance, from surreal fantasy romances to raw gritty contemporaries. I also write across the gender and sexuality spectrums. Everything I write is a little bit funny, a little bit sad, and probably kind of strange.
You might know me from Wattpad–my Wattpad Featured Read, Set Me Free, a Gothic romance, will be released as an ebook and in print in summer 2016.
My gritty erotic romance, Breathe, is currently being serialized on Radish, a free app. It will be released in ebook/print as well sometime after Set Me Free.

XBTBanner1


Melanie Follow on Bloglovin

No comments: