Saturday 3 November 2012

Interview with TK Harris

Today we're talking with author TK Harris about her novel, PHANTOM DREAMS.

Welcome to We Do Write! Tell us a bit about yourself.  

I grew up a military brat and between it and work I have been lucky enough to travel the world, living in many countries.  I am a mom, teacher, IT person, Gemini, writer and problem solver.  I think that about covers it!
How long have you been writing?  


Since forever.  I think I started being able to "spell" around 3 or 4.  
Tell us about PHANTOM DREAMS. What’s the story about?  


An ordinary women with a life time of nightmares that become reality.  A serial killer with a vendetta.  And an FBI agent (who's hot btw) who's tired of chasing monsters but is determined to do it one more time.

How did the idea of the story come to you? 


A dream!  Really.  I had a dream that I was walking through a large crowd of people, surrounded by white canvas tents.  I am moving quickly but don't know why, when suddenly the crowd parts and there is a man in front of me, carrying a sword and it is aimed right at me.  Then, just as quickly, the woman is no longer me and I am now watching.  I woke up before the sword drove home.  And that's how Phantom Dreams was born.
Do you have a critique group/partner or beta readers, or do you self-edit?  


I used beta readers I hired off of Craigslist!  Ha!  I actually wrote a whole article on Beta Readers you can find here:  http://cindy-vine.blogspot.com/2012/10/why-you-need-beta-readers.html

Are you a planner or a pantser?  


A chaotic mix of both.  I start out with a plan which gets blown away leading me down long winding paths and then I put another plan in place to "get everything right (or is that write?)" only to end up down another path.

What’s the hardest part of writing for you?  


EDITING

What do you absolutely have to have nearby when writing? 


My favorite pen.  Even though I usually type now, I started out writing with a pen and paper.  Or pencil and paper.  Sometimes even crayon.  Depending on wherever I was and whatever I had when inspiration struck!

If you could have any super power, what would it be?  


The ability to read, write, understand and speak ANY language.

What's the weirdest thing you've googled? 


How to roll a joint.  Seriously!  I teach college and my kids did a web design project on marijuana and got me curious.  (I didn't inhale though! Ha!)  

Quick writing test! Use the following words in a sentence: ghost, illogical, and tightening.

 
Illogical though it seemed, my chest began to tighten in fear as I stared at what could only be a ghost.

Finish this sentence: If I'm not writing, I'm probably 


reading, hiking, working, riding my motorcycle and being a mom.

Here’s the part where you thank the people who are supporting you. Let's hear your shout outs.


My ex, believe it or not, who put up with me when I started writing this and we were still married.  My roommate for helping me to promote it and my bf for helping me get it formatted, design my book cover and just generally putting up with me being obsessed with marketing my baby!
And finally, where can people find you and your book online?  


Right now its on Amazon, B&N and Kobo.  We should have it up soon on iBooks and iGoogle!


No comments: