Thursday 21 June 2012

Interview with Mohanalakshmi Rajakumar

Today we're chatting with author Mohanalakshmi Rajakumar about her latest book, FROM DUNES TO DIOR.


Hi, Mohana! Tell us a bit about yourself.

I'm a mother, a professor, a writer, and a happy wife. Trying to live the modern woman's dream, knowing I can't have it all at the same time, but I can enjoy most of it.

How long have you been writing?


For about 10 years. My first short story I wrote in middle school for a favorite teacher. My father told me to use my time more usefully on my homework. Took me a long time (10 years) to go from my first story from an elective in graduate school to my first ebook.

Tell us about FROM DUNES TO DIOR. What's the story about?


Called everything from the world's richest to fattest nation, Qatar has been on the breakneck path towards change for several decades. The capital city Doha, is where our family of three has lived since 2005.

FROM DUNES TO DIOR (ebook available on Amazon.com) is not the stuff of newspaper headlines (they made their money from oil! Thirty years ago everyone was living in tents!) but real life stories about being a South Asian American who lives here (no, I don't have to cover my hair, and yes, I can drive).
How did the idea of the story come to you?


I'd been thinking about it for over five years and writing a few pieces here and there along the way.

Do you have a critique group/partner or beta readers, or do you self-edit?


Yes, I do all of the above, and founded the Doha Writers Workshop (a local group of writers) as a critique group/moral support. But for the final edits, I use a professional. It's too hard to edit your own work.

Are you a planner or a pantser?


Planner! Type A... guilty.

What do you absolutely have to have nearby when writing?


Pandora! (Or a music source...) and chocolate never hurts. Lately I've taken a healthy turn and eat fruit while drinking green tea. Not making that up!

If you could have any super power, what would it be?


To erase bad memories.

Nice choice! Quick writing test! Use the following words in a sentence: hyperventilate, hypochondriac, and hippopotamus.


The hippopotamus was hyperventilating because he was a hypochondriac.

Here’s the part where you thank the people who are supporting you. Let's hear your shout outs.

Thank you to RachelintheOc who is my marketing guru.

And finally, where can people find you and your books online?


http://www.mohanalakshmi.com/books/

Thanks so much for chatting with us today, Mohana. I wish you lots of success!

1 comment:

AuthorClaudetteWalker said...

Thank you and may all your dreams come true!