Monday 5 December 2011

Interview with Joshua Hartzell

Happy Monday, everyone. Let's kick the week off with another interview, shall we? Today we're talking with author Joshua Hartzell.

Welcome, Joshua! Tell us a bit about yourself.


Talking about myself has always been my weakest point, and probably what holds me back the most as an author and a business man. I'm an Army Veteran, former Corrections Officer, and now I own and operation a Private Investigation and Protection Agency in Indiana. I'm also a motorcycle enthusiast, and spend most of my summers riding as much as possible. That in itself is important, if for no other reason, it is what lead up to my writing my first book.

How long have you been writing?

I've been writing since the summer of 2009. I started my first book with a friend of mine, Brian Kennedy, after we finished a ride that took us several days. It ended up being kind of a fun travel book for our home state of Indiana called "There and Back Adventures Through Indiana". It is poorly edited I'm afraid, but we were just a couple of friends having a good time, and did not realize that in self publishing we would not have it edited for us. Still, most people that read it seem to enjoy it.

Let's talk about your current book. What's it called and what is it about?

My latest published novel is called "The Bondsmen Midnight Murder". It is the second book in what I am turning into "The Bondsmen" series. In this one, the heroes, which are two bounty hunters, have to catch a deadly serial killer. Not only is this killer dangerous and deadly, but he believes himself to be a vampire, which leads to grizzly forms of murder. The bounty hunters, Jack and Ryan, race to stop this killer, and manage to save a would be victim or two along the way.

Do you have a critique group/partner or beta readers, or do you self-edit?

With this last book, I had a couple of family members help with the editing, as well as using the editor provided by the publisher that this novel originally came out with.

What’s the hardest part of writing for you?

For me the hardest part of writing is definitely the editing. I enjoy the writing so much, but having to edit often makes me bored with what I am doing and causes me to take longer breaks between chapters.

Let’s get to know you on a deeper level. What do you absolutely have to have nearby when writing?

I keep a picture above my computer that I do my writing on of the first summer that my friend Brian and I took our first road trip. His wife took the picture at the first stop that we made of us standing next to our motorcycles. Riding is the most relaxing thing that I have in my life, and that picture is also a reminder of when and why I began writing.

If you could have any super power, what would it be?

There are so many cool super powers to pick from, but if I could just pick one I would have to go with mind reading. It would make my job as an investigator so much easier.

Quick writing test! Use the following words in a sentence: spider web, cantankerous, and windpipe.

There was a cantankerous sore right around his windpipe that seemed to resemble a spider web.

Here’s the part where you thank the people who are supporting you. Let's hear your shout outs.

I would have to start by thanking my friend Brian, since he was the one that helped me start as a writer. Then my parents would have to be next. They have been unbelievably supportive of what I'm doing. Most importantly I want to thank everyone that reads and enjoys my books. Without readers there would be little point to publishing.

And finally, where can people find you and your books online?

All of my books can be found on amazon.com. Most online stores have at least a couple of my books. I also provide links to purchase my books on my business website www.amendinvestigations.com which goes directly to the publisher's store. I am easy to find on facebook and twitter, and am always happy to add new friends, chat, and answer any questions that you might have.


Thanks so much for chatting with us, Joshua. It was great getting to know you. Good luck with your books!

No comments: